Church of St. Stanislaus
The following has been extracted from The Catholic churches of New York City, with sketches of their history and lives of the present pastors, published in 1878.
The Catholic people of Poland have ever been respected
by the Americans, who could not forget
the services of Pulaski and Kosciusko, or behold unmoved
their gallant but unsuccessful efforts to liberate their native
land from the power of Russia.
The following has been extracted from Inventory of the Church Archives in New York City — The Roman Catholic Church — Archdiocese of New York — vol. 2, published in 1941.
Organized 1874. Services in following places until 1878: St. Francis of Assisi Church, 31st St.; St. Theresa's Church, Rutgers St.; and buildings on Henry and Pike Sts. First church, Stanton and Forsythe Sts., dedicated 1878. Incorporated March 4, 1881 as 'St. Stanislaus Polsko Leetewski Roman Catholic Church." Change of corporate name June 9, 1884. Present church, Gothic architecture, brick and concrete construction, dedicated 1900. Renovation of interior, 1936. The first Polish parish in the U.S. Sermons in Polish and English. Attends chapels: The Good Shepherd, 109 E. 77th St.; St. Hedwig's, 62 E. 106th St. First rector, Rev Adalbert Mielcuszny, 1874–76..."2
Baptisms: 1887–1937 & beyond.
Confirmations: 1896–1937 & beyond.
First Communions: 1907–1937 & beyond.
Marriages: 1881–1937 & beyond; from St. Joseph's Home (Broad Street), 1897–1902.
Deaths: 1887–1937 & beyond.
1874–1878. Services were held in a temporary church
View Location on Map
Link to 1891 block map
Link to 1925 block map
Cultural Associations: First Polish parish in New York City.
Other Affiliations: Attended chapels: The Good Shepherd, 109 E. 77th St.; St. Hedwig's,
62 E. 106th St. School, located at 104 St. Mark's Place, was organized
1. The Catholic churches of New York City, with sketches of their history and lives of the present pastors (1878), pages 650–654.
2. Inventory of the Church Archives in New York City — The Roman Catholic Church — Archdiocese of New York — vol. 2 (1941), page 74.