St. Alphonsus Church
Established 1847 — Closed 1980
"Organized 1847 as an out–mission of Most Holy Redeemer Parish (entry 17), remaining such until dedication of present church in 1852. Romanesque architecture, red brick construction. Operates under charter granted March 29, 1864 to Missionary Society of the Most Holy Redeemer. Sermons in German for first fifty years; now (c1940) in German and English. First rector, Rev. James Wayrich, C. SS. R., 1847–52; ed. St. Mary's Sem., Baltimore, Maryland." 1 St. Alphonsus Church closed in 1980.
Note: The records for the now closed St. Alphonsus Church are located at St. Anthony of
Deaths: 1847—1937 & beyond
Trustees' Minutes: 1847—1937 & beyond
Locations: 1847—1822, Mission of Most Holy Redeemer Church
|View Location on Map|
Cultural Associations: German-speaking Catholics
Affiliated Churches: Most Holy Redeemer.
Other Affiliations: School, 67 Thompson St., organized 1876; Commercial school, located
328 West Broadway.