|[n1] It's very possible that this was Gabriel LeBoyteulx (or Gabriel LeRoyer) who witnessed the will of Giles Gaudineau. The other persons who signed this document were elders and the minister of the French Church.|
|[n2] First Reformed Church Raritan, now located in Somerville, was originally known as the Reformed Dutch Church of Raritan and was organized in 1699.|
|[n3] This may, or may not, be the Joseph Laboyteux in question. Record of Joseph's death indicates that he was born about 1738.|
|[n4] We assume that Peter Leboiteulx and Jemima Bries were the parents of Joseph Laboyteaux (c1730-1826) based on the baptismal record of "Josup Betu" from 1731. However, it could be that this "Josup" was an earlier child of Peter and Jemima that died and that they later named a second son Joseph and this was that child. We further assume that John Laboyteaux (c1738-1780) was the brother of Joseph Laboyteaux (c1730-1826) as they are both were in New York City, both having children baptized at the Presbyterian Church in New York City, and both were listed on a land grant for land in Gloucester Co., NY now Vermont. Paul LeBoyteaux, another supposed brother, also had several children baptized at this same church.|
|[n5] The actual death Record of Joseph Laboyteaux should give his address at time of death, or location of his death, the cause of death, and the location of his burial.|
|[n6] The International Genealogical Index has a Catherine Sickles, the daughter of Zacharias Sickles and Catherine "Meyer", having been baptized 25 December, 1747 at the DRC in New York City. However, transcriptions of these church records give that it was a Maria Sickles baptized on this date and that the mother, name here correctly given, was Catherine Heyer. So we believe these might have been Catherine's parents, but are still unsure.|
|[n7] The original baptismal record might give us the names of sponsors, which may provide us with additional family connections.|
|[n8] These lands had numerous claims upon them, including by both New York and Vermont, and these disputes included armed conflict. I suspect this might have been a land bounty for military service—perhaps all these men were officers, who I believe were usually entitled to about 1000 acres bounty, and there are 10 men here receiving a combined 10,000 acres. Note-In 1758 Elihu Spencer was waiting for an appointment as chaplain of military forces in New York, and he served two years during the French and Indian War.—SEE, THIS SOURCE. I believe Elijah Spencer commanded a New York Brigade during the American Revolution.In addition, Elihu Spencer was the rector of Christ Episcopal Church in New Brunswick, which was where Joseph Laboyteaux was married. Also, some of the names of these men on this list seem to match those who served in the New York Militia as officers during the French and Indian War. Some of these men also appear to have at times been living at Middlesex and Somerset Counties, New Jersey at particular locals where Laboyteaux’ were known to have resided. More searching for similarities of this group and for possible connections should be conducted (perhaps hey were all client of the same lawyer who was handling veteran’s land claims). Finally, regarding Joseph Laboyteaux, his possible father-in-law, Zachariah Sickels, seems to have been an elected representative for New York at the time of this grant.|
|[n9] Whereas Joseph was not listed with any acreage, his supposed brother, Peter was listed in the same town with 127 acres. Listed in Peter’s household was 9 inhabitants, 3 horses and 4 cattle.|
|[n10] This was the same address given for Cornelius Jewell, who was the son-in-law of Joseph Laboyteaux|
[n11] In an attempt to locate Joseph Laboyteaux in the 1810 Census I used his address given in the 1810 Longworth Directory, "18 Magazine", and searched this address in the 1808 Directory for NYC using Google Books. In the 1808 directory was listed Oliver Cross at 12 Magazine; Frederic Mabie at 14 Magazine; _____ M'Ilwain; John M'Farland, 12 Magazine. These persons, Oliver Cross, Frederick Mabey, John McIlwain, John McFarland were listed in the 1810 Federal Census on the same page (NARA page 142B) in the 6th ward. However, it appears that street numbers for this street close to these nunbers are found on the following pages.
For instance, Henry Mikmak of 14 Magazine was listed on page 145B as Henri Mickmack; Frederick Merchant of 20 Magazine is on page 148A; Andrew Morton of 22 Magazine is on page 149A.
page 144B has Joseph Labory _ _ _ 1 _ 1 _ _ 2
Here's the order of appearance: Mary Moncrief, James Curran, Thomas Bryan, Hugh O Boyle, James Wheeler, Joseph Labory, William Davidson, Abraham Burges, Mrs. Garribrance, Jane Davis, William Burns, Conn Carr, George Durand
|[n12] 33 Banker was perhaps near Roosevelt St. Banker Street was perpendicular to Pearl St. and opposite Rose Street. I believe Banker street became Madison Street.|
|[n13] 23 Rutgers would probably have been at about 145 Henry Street.|
|[n14] East George became Market Street in 1813.|
|[n15] 107 Lombard, AKA Lombardy, would have been between number 1 Pelham and number 61 Rutgers.|
|[n16] Magazine Street later became part of Pearl Street.|
|[n17] 21 Frankfort was probably near 201 William Street and perhaps a block from Rose Street.|
|[n18] 140 Mulberry was probably between cross streets, 191 Hester and 172 Grand. NOTE, this was the same address given for Cornelius Jewel who was married to Catharine Laboyteaux. ALSO, 149 Mulberry, (now Paolucci’s Restaurant, was originally the Stephen van Rensselaer House and was built c1816.|
|[n19] 138 Hester was probably at the intersection of (93) Bowery.|
|[n20] 195 Anthony Street was probably near the end of Anthony Street, just past Orange Street. Note the 1821-22 Longworth’s Directory gave 95 Anthony as the address for the widow of Joseph Laboyteaux.|
[n21] The Joseph Laboyteaux, with various spellings, who was listed sporadically in the New York City directories between 1795 and 1819 as a “shoemaker, might be the combined listings of two separate individuals, perhaps father and son. The elder being the Joseph Labatoux, “cordwainer”, another term for shoemaker, who became a “freeman” of New York City in 1770, and who evidently died in 1826, age 88, at New York City. The younger being the Joseph Laboyteaux referred to in the New York directories with the following listings:
1819-20 – Laboyteaux Joseph, shoemaker 138 Hester and 195 Anthony
1820-21 – Laboyteaux widow of Joseph 98(?) Anthony
1821-22 – Laboyteaux widow of Joseph, 95 Anthony
|[n22] Peter Wyckoff had sign several petitions of Joseph Laboyteaux requesting a tavern license at Hunterdon County.|
[n23] The following was an answer to a query I had emailed to the Hunterdon County Historical Society asking for the location of Joseph Laboyteaux' tavern, as well as the churches in the immediate area from that period, which was answered by Terry A. McNealy, Librarian:
"According to the book Old Inns and Taverns in West Jersey, by Charles S. Boyer (1962), Joseph Layboyteaux was licensed at a tavern where the Old York Road (now State Route 514) crosses the Neshanic River. The road now forms the boundary between East Amwell and Raritan Townships. The nearest village is Reaville. The tavern was later known as Manners' Tavern, from the name of a later innkeeper."
"In the 18th century there was a Presbyterian church, founded in 1738, a short distance south on the York Road, and a German Reformed church farther south on the same road, founded in 1749. The Presbyterian church moved to Reaville in 1838, but the old cemetery is still there. The German Reformed church became Presbyterian in 1810. The early records of both of these churches have apparently not survived."
[n24] New Jersey in the American Revolution, 1763-1783 A Chronology, by Denis P. Ryan [Nj Historical Commission]
1777, March 15, the Committee of Safety is reorganized into the Council of Safety, containing twelve members as well as Governor William Livingston, who acts as president.
1777, March 18, the Council of Safety meets for the first time in Haddonfield.
1777, June 4, A law establishing election practices provides for inspection by local justices and for oaths of allegiance from voters at the county courthouses.
1777, June 5, A free and general pardon is offered to those who have remained loyal to Britain. They are given to August 1 to change sides and swear an oath of allegience to the United States. Commissioners in each county will receive these oaths and seize the personal property of those who do not comply.
1777, June 17 - August 30, the Concil of Safety meets in Morristown.
1777, July 11, The Council of Safety orders suspected Loyalists and their wives into enemy lines.
1777, July 18, The Privy council meets at New Germanton. this is the first recorded meeting of this body.
1777, August 14, The Privy Council meets in Morristown.
1777, September 6-24, The Privy Council meets in Haddonfield.
1777, September 22, Council of Safety meets in Haddonfield.
1777, September 23 - 26, Council of Safety meets in Burlington.
1777, September 30 - October 13, Council of Safety meets in Princeton.
1777, October 4 - November 12, The Privy Council meet in Princeton.
1777, October 6, Jurors and schoolmasters must take oaths of abjuration and allegiance or pay fines.
|[n25] The widow of Captain William Kidd, Elizabeth Windebane, lived at No. 125-127 Pearl Street. |
|[n26] We have no primary documentation that provides the parentage, or year and place of birth for John Laboyteaux. However, several of John's children were baptized at a Presbyterian church during the 1770s at New York City, as were the children of his supposed brothers, Gabriel and Joseph Laboyteaux, who were among the children born to Jemima and Peter LeBoytulx, being baptized at a Dutch Reformed Church near Raritan, New Jersey. We can assume these wdre These would have beenBoth brother later lived with their families at New York City and at Somerset and Middlesex Counties in Central New Jersey. From the date of John's first appearance in the records and newspapers it can logically be assumed that he was born between 1732 and 1742.|
|[n27] The Pearsell Family Genealogy gives that Hannah was a Pearsell.|
|[n28] Regarding the name Elizabeth Daily... there was an Elizabeth Dail who married a Samuel Francis at New York City on 30 November 1757... I believe the former refers to Samuel Fraunce of Fraunces' Tavern. Could this have been the same Elizabeth Daily who mater Peter Laboyteaux. Hannah Smith, the widow of John Laboyteaux, seems to have a connection to Fraunces' Tavern in the 1790s.|
|[n29] Roelof Sebring composed his last will and testament in 1756 wherein he referred to his wife Agnes.|
|[n30] This would appear to be the childs paternal grandmother, Agnes C. LeBoyteulx.|
|[n31] On April 23, 1767 "William Post of New York and Jerusha Smith of Jamaica" were married at Jamaica in Queens County, and their marriage was recorded in the church register of St. George's Epicopal Chapel of New York City. In this same register, reportly performed the same date at the same town was the marriage of "John Cornell of Hempstead and Catherine Smith of Jamaica". Perhaps these were sisters of Hannah Smith Laboyteaux who was also fromm Queens County.|
|[n32] "IW" was likely an abbreviation for "inquire within".|
|[n33] I believe "Little Water" became Front Street.|
|[n34] We have assumed this Marie Le Boyteulx was the sister of Paul LeBoyteulx who was baptized in 1715—however, it's possible this could have been a yet unknown daughter of Paul's as Paul would have been age about 43 when Marie was married.|
|[n35] Some believe that "Gabriel LeBoyteulx Junr.", who signed the petition on behalf of Loius Rou, may have actually be the son of Gabriel Le Boyteulx.|
|[n36] This source seems to indicate that their source was an official copy of the Original will. However, if we could locate the original will, which should have the signature of Gabriel Le Boyteulx, might, through Gabriel signature, tell us whether this was Gabriel, or perhaps a son of Gabriel named Gabriel, whom others think may have existed, being the Gabriel LeBoyteulx Junr. who signed the petition on behalf of Loius Rou.|
|[n37] "The poem is contained in the appendix to a Scottish manuscript of Poems on Several Occaisions by Archibald Home (c.1705-1744), who served as the secretary of New Jersey. |
|[n38] "In 1713, when she was fourteen, Renee married Reverend Louis Rou of the New York French Church. Her remarkably young age at marriage... over the next twenty-seven years she gave birth to fifteen children. These facts shocked, embarrassed, and even angered Rou's congregation. Indeed, owing to her youth Reverend Daniel Bondet of New Rochelle had refused to marry them, although a Dutch Reformed minister finally agreed to do so. |
|[n39] This may have been either John Hastier, or his son John Jr.|
|[n40] This may have been either Elizabeth LeBoyteulx Hastier, or her daughter Elizabeth.|
|[n41] This record alone proves the marriage of Marquize LeBoyteulx and Daniel Bontecue as in the body of the entry her name was given as "Marquise le Boyteulx" while she signed it "Marquize Bontecue".|
[n42] There may be a mix-up regarding the marriage of Marquize LeBoyteulx and Daniel Bontecue... It is thought that Marquise LeBoyteulx married the younger Daniel Bontecue who was more then twenty years her junior. However, it's my (JARM) belief that she married his father, the senior Daniel Bontecue, who was about twelve year older then Marquize. Sources have that the senior Daniel Bontecue
was born in 1681, married Marianne Machet in, or about 1712, and died in November, 1773.
SEE—Memory and identity: the Huguenots in France and the Atlantic Diaspora, Bertrand Van Ruymbeke, Randy J. Sparks
When Daniel Bontecue Sr. died in 1773 he left no Natural heirs, but left half his estate to Mary Bassett, who was the niece of Marquise LeBoyteulx. So it seems likely it was Daniel Bontecue Senior, and not his son, who married Marquise LeBoyteulx.
|[n43] Daniel Bontecou (1681-1773) informed M. du Simitiere in 1770 that he was born at La Rochelle from the descendant of the famous Dutch navigator Bontecoe.|
[n44] The source
The Bontecou genealogy: A record of the descendants of Pierre Bontecou, a Huguenot Refugee From France, in the Lines of His Sons, by John Emery Morris,
page 12, mentions a manuscript that was in possession of the Philadelphia Library Company, which quotes Mrs. Bontecou on her family origin... I believe this was Marquise LeBoyteulx Bontecou.
"I have been informed by Mr. Buvelot, who had it from old Mrs. Bontecou's own mouth, that she came in New York from France during the time that Leisler had the Government, that she and her family were well received by him."
|[n45] According to the source, The Bontecou genealogy: A record of the descendants of Pierre Bontecou, a Huguenot Refugee From France, in the Lines of His Sons, Daniel's first wife Marianne Machet was naturalized at New York City June 17, 1726.|
|[n46] the book The early generations of the Du Pont and allied families, volume 1, by Henry Algernon DuPont includes the partial phrase "June 30, 1715, Jeanne Le Boyteulx who died in that city July 6, 1750"... this might be referring to our Jeanne LeBoyteulx. We should check this book to confirm, or exclude this point of inquery.|
|[n47] Elizabeth Henry was, according to the marriage license, a widow... could it be that he maiden name was Smock. Some belive that Paul LeBoyteulx married Elizabeth Smock in 1719, but there is no original source for this marriage.|
|[n48] The article writen by C.C. Vermeule in 1936 titled "Raritan Landing That Was, The History of a River Port from 1675 to 1875" published in the Proceedings of the New Jersey Historical Society, vol. 54 has the Peter Kimble house, later owned by Paul LeBoyteulx, as number 43 on the Vermeule map. Also SEE, Piscataway Township, by Randall Gabrielan|
|[n49] The surname of "Bries" has come yo be associated to Jemima through the Register of Qualified Huguenot Ancestors of The National Huguenot Society, Fourth Edition, 1995, Compiled by Arthur Louis Finnell, Registrar General... we need to uncover and find their original source.|
|[n50] We have no primary source for the marriage of Catherine LeBoyteulx and Daniel Sebring. However, the union of Catherine and Daniel is suggested in the Register of Qualified Huguenot Ancestors of the National Huguenot Society, published in 1995 and the Sebring collections, published in 1975. the genealogy and history of the family.|
|[n51] Dominie Frelinghuysen, having come to minister the Reformed congregation at New Brunswick in 1720, almost immediately caused tension in the flock. "He was charged by his enimies with preaching doctrines contrary to the standards of the Church, and subversive to the whole spirit of the Gospel. When he insisted on the necessity of the experimental evidences as a qualification for the Lord's Supper, he is represented as introducing customs contrary to the priciples of the Reformed Church. A very elaborate pamphlet was published by his enimies in the year 1723, setting forth their grievances, and making an appeal to the public opinion against the course he was pursuing. The complaint is issued under the sanction of Simon Wyckoff, a deacon of the church of Six Mile Run, Peter Dumont, an elder at Raritan, and Hendrick Vroom, a former deacon at Three Mile Run. In addition to these names, the signatures of sixty-four heads of families are appended, from all the congregations to which he ministered, with the exception of New Brunswick... As late as the year 1729, a party existed of sufficient strength to make an attempt to bring over from Holland a pastor more after their own mind. A paper was accordingly circulated with the idea of gathering together all the malcontents in the old church at Three Mile Rune, which is represented to be in a somewhat dilapidated condition, and, if the enterprise succeeded, they were to repair the old edifice or build a new one in the vicinity of John Pittenger. But the plan failed, and the scheme was abandoned." |
"Harlingcn Church lay at the extreme west of this most promi-
nent field of Dutch migration from New York. It was at the
further end of a very great parish which was ministered to for
many years, or from 1720 to 1747, by Domine Theodorus Jacobus
Frelinghuysen, ancestor of all bearing that wellknown name in
New Jersey and America. The center of the parish was at Raritan,
near which soon Somerville with its churches grew up, and it
covered Somerset County and the borders of Middlesex and
Hunterdon (long known as 'the garden of the Dutch Church'),
and in the beginning embraced such points or wide parishes as
North Branch or Readington with Neshanic, Hillsborough or
Millstone, Three Mile Run and then Six Mile Run and "the
Church at Lawrence's Brook on the River," or First New Bruns-
wick, and very shortly Sourland with its range of trap hills to
the north or west of it. The latter was not known as Harlingen
till 1766, but was commonly called op de Millstone, or the church
over or beyond the Millstone, before that from the river valley in
which it lay, and then Sourland. These early settlers from Long
Island homes about New York took their church along with
them. It would have been better, perhaps, had they not, or had
they taken it with more religion or godliness and brotherly kind-
ness to their new homes. For the spirit of contention, dull or
fierce, marred these churches throughout at the first and for a
long period. This was because of faction among them, the
coetus standing for home-rule ecclesiastic, and the cotifercfttie
(Dutch name for Latin) opposing with great persistence and
indescribable acridity, and by repute, without scruple. So the
baptisms in Sourland or early Harlingen puzzle us. Domine
Frelinghuysen took full charge there in 1729 but baptized no
children at the start as appears, the ordinance being administered
by the opposing or Arondeus faction so called. We have reason
to believe that families of prominence at the beginning stood
aloof from or indifferent to the church. Not a Skillman name,
for instance, appears in the list here of earliest baptisms, though
there was a number subject to that rite at that time in the land,
owning households of the parish as Jan Skillman and his brother
Isaac. So it was with Beekmans, affiliated with these by mar-
riage, more numerous, still larger land holders, and with a host
of children. Not one of these grandchildren of Christoffel, son
of the famous Gerardus of Flatbush, is in the record. And so
very likely it was with others of the pioneers. Church animosity
wrought unreckoned evil at the time in this important field."
"The baptisms of the reformed dutch Church Here having been recorded in the low dutch language from the first origin of said Church on the 23d August 1727 to Feb. 1796 (inclusive), and the sd language having be- come nearly obsolete, & understood by very few, the present Consistory of sd Church has resolved that to preserve such records, they be translated & copied over in the book in the english language as well as the names admit of." These baptisms were administered at the start, and so far as any evidence goes to show, continued to be adminstered throughout, by Domine Henricus Coens, he being pastor from 1725 to 1730 of the churches (Dutch Reformed) of Aquackanonck, Second River, Pompton, and Ponds (New Jersey), dying there 1735." 
|[n53] The mother of this child was Marie, who is said herself to have been the daughter of "Agnes Constance De Bruyn" and Peter Bodine (born c1712). There seems to be something strange here as the name "Agnes Constance De Bruyn" would be an acceptable variant of the name "Agnes Constance Le Brun," (born c1672) who was the wife of Gabriel LeBoyteulx. We need to locate the source for the marriage of Peter and Agnes. Perhaps is was a baptism record that was mis-interpeted, with "Agnes Constance De Bruyn" being the sponsor of Marie, daughter of Peter Bodine, and not her mother. Another possible sinario is that Agnes, widow of Gabriel LeBoyteulx, married second the elder Peter Bodine.|
|[n54] Referring to the transcript of the baptismal register for the First Dutch Reformed Church of New Brunswick published in the Proceedings of the New Jersey Historical Society. The preceding source gives the name as "Botdon, where as a second transcription produced by a man named Potter gives the same name as "Botaou." We should check the original records which are housed at the Reformed Church Archives at New Brunswick, but in any case there should be no doubt that this name represented our Laboyteaux ancestors.|
|[n55] We need to check this source as GoogleBooks only provided a "snippet" view of this souce and didn't provide the names of this child's parents.|
|[n56] The name "Marietje," which is the suspected name for that of the mother of John Bodine, comes from the baptismal register for the Dutch Reformed Church of Raritan, as the names "Pieter and Marietje Bodyn" were given as sponsors in 1721 to the child of Jacob Bodyn.|
|[n57] It seems logical to assume that Catherine LeBoyteulx and John Bodine were married between 1728 and 1731 as when Gabriel composed his will in 1728 he made reservations for the care of his daughters Catherine and Mary, which indicates that they were perhaps minors, but certainly unmarried. And we can assume that Catherine was married prior to 1732 as her daughter Maria was baptized in March of that year.|
|[n58] The names found in the ledgers of Dr. Moses Scott M.D. of "Mr Laboyteaux" and "Elizabeth Laboyteaux" were likely Paul LeBoyteulx and his wife Elizabeth Henry. |
|[n59] At present we can't be sure that the Job Briggs named in this court case was the Job Briggs who was married to Mary LeBoyteulx as our man would have likely been in his 70's or 80's at that time.|
|[n60] The funeral entry for "Paul Le Boyteaux Jr.," which we suspect is for our ancestor, might indicate that his father was named Paul. However, the term Jr. may have differered from how we use it in our time.|
|[n61] Concerning the election of deputies to choose delegates to the Continental Congress. Dated: Saturday night, 4th March, 1775. Ascribed to the press of John Holt by Evans. The New York Public Library has two settings of the text printed on a single sheet, intended to be separated after printing. The two editions may be distinguished by the spelling of the word "Friday" in the seventh line of text, and by the last word of the ninth line. In the present edition, Friday is misspelled "Fridry" and the last word of the ninth line is "this."|
|[n62] Regarding the source, Collections of the New-York Historical Society for the year 1911, which has transcriptions of early New York tax assessments. The index to this book has listed a "Mr. Bato" on page 182, but using Google Books we are unable to access this page. Knowing that the name "Bato" is a likely variant of the name "LeBoyteulx" We should check page 182 and compare the neighbors of "Mr. Bato" with those of Gabriel Leboyteulx, who was listed three times in this same book for later tax assessments.|